FYI

I don't collect visitor info. Go away Skynet!

Friday, November 17, 2023

New Blog - New Snow Blower post

Happy Thanksgiving! As the Turkey Day holiday arriving next week, it seems fitting that Buffalo's potential first blast of lake effect snow is set to arrive the night before the holiday. Great time! For those who've followed my adventures, testing snow blowers is one of my favorite hobbies. As you prepare for the coming winter storms, here's my 2 cents on things to consider when looking to purchase a new snow blower:

1) Length of driveway and type of snow is key consideration in determining right snow blower to purchase! If you only get light fluffy snow and have smaller sized driveway, a corded electric or battery-powered snow blower will often do the trick. I have an 80 foot driveway. For light snow, my electric corded snow blower did the trick with even somewhat wet snow when my gas-powered snow blower had a mechanical issue. That said, I'd leave the heavy, wet snow for the gas-powered snow blowers. As for those snow blowers, I recommend a snow blower with a minimum or 200 cc engine. Those in areas that get lake-effect snow, go for the snow blowers with over 220 cc engines.

2) As for brands, go with names you trust. I have loved my Troy-Bilt snow blowers for gas-powered. Ariens, Toro and Cub Cadet seem to get the job done well, too. I have owned Toro, Ariens and Troy-Bilt and the Troy-Bilt has been the most dependable. For electric and battery-powered, I like Greenworks and SnowJoe: I own both. My battery-powered is Greenworks while my corded electric is SnowJoe. Both have worked admirably though I have only had the Greenworks for one season so far.


3) Buy used or refurbished. Inflation has certainly complicated things with costs. Given that, used snow blowers could do the trick. I purchased my SnowJoe in refurbished condition direct from SnowJoe. It has held up for a couple winters now. It gets the job done. I use it to clear my decks and as a back-up for if I have an issue with my gas-powered machines. Check out local hardware stores (non-chain stores), which often sell old snow blowers.

4) Get the right extension cord for the job! If you have a corded snow blower, get a higher grade extension cord that can handle outdoor power equipment. Check your user manual for recommended cord gauge.

Happy Holidays!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Zero- G Garden Hose: I finally Found the Perfect One

 It was early Spring 2024 when I hooked up the garden hose to begin the seasons of watering the lawn and are plants/vegetables. As happens f...