FYI

I don't collect visitor info. Go away Skynet!

Saturday, September 14, 2024

2023 Excavations - Lancaster, NY

So, 20 years ago, my wife and I bought a house in Lancaster, that was built in the 1940s. Now, as a Prehistoric archaeologist... that's not old. Having said that, our house was the first in this part of the town on William Street and once was an apple orchard. When we moved in, only 2 Cortland Apple trees remained. I have been expanding our number of apple trees during the last 5-6 years. Any how, the daughter of the man who built our house said that a stone arrowhead had been located when the garage was built. So, I have excavated several test units over the years. No prehistoric artifacts or features have yet to surface. However, I have found some historic artifacts: machine cut nails, old glass, and even a plastic disk that I believe was part of a toy gun from the 70s. I plan to display some of the artifacts I find as I also write a history of the house and a summary of my ongoing findings. This image is of the objects I uncovered and cleaned - all historic (at oldest, late 1800s, but my estimate is early to mid 20th century when the artifacts were used and then lost to time.


***Cheers to all. Tool reviews later this month! Be well!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Zero- G Garden Hose: I finally Found the Perfect One

 It was early Spring 2024 when I hooked up the garden hose to begin the seasons of watering the lawn and are plants/vegetables. As happens f...