FYI

I don't collect visitor info. Go away Skynet!

Friday, December 15, 2023

Snow Blast From the Past

For those who have followed my blogging, you know I love testing out snow blowers. While I highly recommend Greenworks 40V snow blower, I have found the Snow Joe corded to be reliable as well as a number of the gas-powered snow blowers (I'm a big fan of Troy-Bilt). Having said that, I did some digging recently (no pun intended) into the history of corded-electric snow blowers. Get this! Corded-electric snow blowers go back decades. This was news to me this week when I was thinking about one of the earliest gas-powered, self-propelled snow blowers created right here in Buffalo by George Nathan. When working at the museum, I got to see that technological wonder every day. With that 1940s creation on my mind, I looked further into early snow blowers, which is when I was shocked to see that a familiar brand had sold their own line of corded-electric snow blowers. That company is Sunbeam.

Today, Sunbeam is diversified in to household and health/wellness products, but in previous decades, they created machines to tackle all manner of lawn and garden chores. When growing up and tasked with mowing the family home's lawn, I used an old Sunbeam corded-electric lawn mower. Well, today I journeyed back in time and found for sale locally a Sunbeam snow blower dated to about 1958. Now, as much as I want to test this tool out, we have no snow in the Buffalo area at the moment. I will post images of it in use when the weather cooperates. Here are photos of the machine after I got it home. Cheers!






No comments:

Post a Comment

The Zero- G Garden Hose: I finally Found the Perfect One

 It was early Spring 2024 when I hooked up the garden hose to begin the seasons of watering the lawn and are plants/vegetables. As happens f...